Wednesday 3 December 2014

December 2014


I have been overwhelmed by the success and response to the Breathless Breastless Project. Since June we have put on four exhibitions and attracted over 500+ visitors. Social media followers continue to rise slowly and feedback has been nothing but supportive for our quest to share the real journeys of a breast cancer diagnosis. Our last exhibition finished in September but I continue to follow up leads for potential events for 2015. I have been liaising with a local charity who expressed an interest in hosting our exhibition at one of the Scottish museums next spring. I am very excited about this opportunity. Find out about future events on the website www.breathlessbreastlessproject.org

I was disturbed by the news last night of NHS Grampians failings at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and Woodend hospital. BBC said “Three reports into health care in the north-east of Scotland have highlighted "extremely serious" issues and "make stark reading" for NHS Grampian.” The main key points can be read here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-30293512

I did actually file a letter of complaint following my own care raising various points about the departments and people who dealt with my case. I was rather shocked at my annual check up to be greeted by one of the nurses I had complained about! I have also never seen my own consultant at my two annual check-ups and have been checked over by a junior doctor. The annual check-up consists of a few questions, raising my arms above my head and a feel of my breast as I lay on my back. My original tumour could never be felt when I lay on my back and could not be seen by raising my arm. Lobular breast cancer is notorious for not showing up on mammograms, I was told my mammogram “showed no change” and that I had dense breast tissue. Not the reassurance that one would like to receive!

Following changes in bowel habits and under rib pain at the start of the year I consulted my GP who made a referral to hospital. I saw the doctor within a couple of weeks and she made an “Urgent” referral for colonoscopy and endoscopy, finally someone interested to look at why I may also have been anaemic. I chased up the appointment twice, being told by my GP that there was an acute shortage of consultants and serious backlogs with patients waiting for surgery etc. He spoke about elderly patients being sent to Glasgow, three hours away, for hip replacements! The procedures were finally carried out over six months later. I am happy to say that nothing untoward was found apart from a hiatus hernia and was told that I should be referred back to the hospital doctor for follow up. Of course I have heard nothing and I doubt there will ever be a follow up. The doctor did say that they took bowel changes seriously and would monitor me. We all clearly need to be proactive in our own care but unfortunately I think this gets us labelled as anything from aggressive & argumentative to paranoid and a hypochondriac!

 I have been trying to get my fitness back up although my hip and shoulder are telling me they don’t like it! The estuary is a very inviting place for walks and runs especially on crisp, sunny, winter mornings. The views are spectacular and peaceful, you can really get back to nature out there on your own. Lungs full of fresh sea air, wind and sun on skin, legs sinking into soft sand, seals calling from the shoreline. Quite idyllic.

I have taken on a role as a Team B Aware volunteer for Breast Cancer Care Scotland. I am trained and available to go out into the community to give a short 15 mins presentation on breast awareness and how to be breast aware. Do you know what changes to look for in your breasts and how and when to check? Do you regularly check your breasts? Early detection is key to survival and we hope as a team to reach as many people as possible in Scotland, from all walks of life and over all age groups. You can find out more about Team B Aware and book a presentation here http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/b-aware

Christmas is almost upon us and I look back over 2014 grateful for all that I have done and all that I have achieved. I have met some fantastic people through the Project, inspirational artists and like-minded cancer survivors who have enabled each other to express themselves in a way that has helped them to move forward and to let go of some of their fears regaining an optimistic future. The Project has given family and friends a deeper understanding of what a cancer diagnosis means and has shown the impact a diagnosis has on lives, both immediately and long term. Sharing and communication with one another is key to healing.

My thanks go to everyone who has supported The Breathless Breastless Project in 2014. To all the people who have given generously of their time and to those who chose to support us financially. We have exciting plans for 2015, if you know of a venue that would like to host the exhibition, if you would like to take part in any way or wish to sponsor us please do get in touch!

Meantime, very merry Christmas wishes and happiness & good health for the New Year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment